Finding and replacing data
You can find and replace data across multiple fields (including related fields) in a record or in a find request, across a found set of records or find requests, or across text objects in a layout.
To find and replace data:
- In Browse, Find, or Layout mode, choose Edit menu > Find/Replace > Find/Replace.
- In the Find what box, type the data to search for. In the Replace with box, type the replacement data.
Tip To find or replace invisible characters, such as tabs or carriage returns, manually copy and paste these characters from a field into the Find what or Replace with box.
- Set search options.
- Click one of the buttons to perform the type of find/replace operation you want.
Match whole words only
Search for only those occurrences that are whole words or are bounded by spaces and/or punctuation characters.
An option in Search across
In Browse mode, search across all records in the current layout or just in the current record.
In Find mode, search across all find requests in the current layout or just in the current find request.
Note In Layout mode, FileMaker Pro searches only in the current layout.
- In files that contain Japanese data, a find with the Match case option cleared does not simultaneously find both the half-width and full-width version of the same character. To comprehensively find and replace both characters, perform separate finds for both the half-width and full-width character.
- You cannot search for information in web viewers.
- You cannot find data in fields that you are not permitted to view, or replace data in fields that you are not permitted to modify.
- You cannot find and replace data in fields that are formatted as pop-up menus, radio buttons, or checkboxes. (To work around this limitation, find and replace data on a layout that includes these fields formatted as edit boxes or drop-down lists.)
- If the current layout contains panel controls:
- In Browse and Find modes, the find and replace affects only data in fields on the frontmost panel.
- In Layout mode, the find and replace affects text on all panels.