Finding records based on criteria in a single field
You can perform a find based on an entire field or a selection of text within a field.
To find records based on data in a field:
- In Browse mode, do one of the following:
- Click in a field that contains the entire text you want to use for the find.
- Select specific text within a field to use for the find.
- Right-click the field or selection. From the shortcut menu, choose Find Matching Records.
The found set changes to include only the records that match the text you indicated. If the text you indicated contains multiple words, FileMaker Pro performs a phrase search, returning only those records that include the words in order.
- You can save a find for future use. See Saving a find request. Performing a find creates a new find request and deletes any existing set of requests associated with the current window.
- To quickly narrow or broaden a found set, click in a field (or select specific text) and choose Constrain Found Set or Extend Found Set from the shortcut menu.
- The find shortcut menu commands are disabled if you don't have the correct privileges to enter the field being used for the find, or if a running script has been paused. See Allowing or preventing entry into fields and About accounts, privilege sets, and extended privileges.
- If the field type selected does not support finds (for example, summary fields, container fields, and global fields), the commands on the shortcut menu won't appear.