Saving and sending records as a snapshot link
You can save a found set of records, called a snapshot link, to capture a found set as it was when you performed the find request. Use a snapshot link when you don’t want to save the record data itself (as when saving records as an Excel or PDF file) but when you want return to the same records and see the latest record data. The found set is saved in FileMaker Pro Snapshot Link format (FMPSL) with the filename extension .fmpsl. You can also email an FMPSL file to another person.
The snapshot link includes the current found set of record IDs—including the layout, view, sort order, mode, and toolbar visibility.
To save records as a snapshot link file:
- Find the records that you want to save as a snapshot link. See Making a find request.
- In Browse mode, Layout mode, or Preview mode, choose File menu > Save/Send Records As > Snapshot Link.
- In the Save Records As Snapshot Link dialog box, accept the default filename or enter a different name, then specify other options.
- Click Save.
- A snapshot link does not preserve record data, and opening a snapshot link will not return record data to the state it was in when the snapshot link was created. To preserve record data, you can export records (see Exporting data from FileMaker Pro) or save a copy of the file (see Saving and copying files).
- Records that were deleted after the snapshot link was created, and records that were associated with a layout that was deleted or that is now associated with another table, are not displayed. To see records that are based on current information from the file, re-create the find request.
- Make sure that everyone who will use the snapshot link has the proper access privileges for the layout and records.
- If any actions are set to be performed on the database when it is opened, such as switching to a layout, running a script, or responding to a script trigger, those actions are done before the snapshot link is opened.