- In Layout mode, choose Insert menu > Picture.
- For Files of type (Windows) or Show (macOS), choose a graphic file type.
Recommended formats for graphics: GIF (.gif), JPEG/JFIF (.jpg), PNG (.png), TIFF (.tif).
- Navigate to the graphic file.
- To reference the file from disk, select Store only a reference to the file.
When you select Store only a reference to the file, FileMaker Pro doesn't import the graphic file; instead it only keeps track of where it is on your hard disk. This option may reduce the size of your FileMaker Pro file, but if you move or delete the graphic file, FileMaker Pro won't be able to display it.
- Select the file, then click Open (Windows) or Insert (macOS).
- Position and size the graphic on the layout as needed.
- You can also insert graphics as data into container fields. Do this when you have a different graphic for each record, such as employee photos in an employee directory database table. See Using data in container fields.
- To export an image, in Layout mode, right-click the image and choose Export Graphic. You can’t export an image if you set the option to store only a reference to the file.