Microsoft Excel format
FileMaker Pro can import, convert, and export Microsoft Excel worksheets.
Importing or converting Excel files
- If a file contains more than one worksheet or a named range, you can choose the worksheet or named range you want to import.
- You can choose whether FileMaker Pro uses a specified row of data in the file as field names.
- FileMaker Pro assigns an appropriate field type (text, number, date, or time) if all rows in the column hold the same type of data. Otherwise, a column becomes a text field.
- FileMaker Pro imports calculation results, not formulas.
- Boolean values are considered numbers.
- Charts, graphics, and notes (comments) are not imported.
- Non-data structures (such as macros) are not converted.
- You can convert "hidden" files (see Excel documentation) but not password-protected files.
- Field data that is too large or too small for the equivalent data type in Microsoft Excel is saved in text format.
Exporting FileMaker Pro files as Excel
- All fields are truncated at 32,767 characters.
- Number fields are rounded to the closest possible value accepted by Excel. For limitations, see the Microsoft Excel online Help. Only numbers are exported from number fields.
- Repeating fields are not exported.
- If you select Apply current layout's data formatting to exported data, data in the Excel file is formatted to resemble data in the FileMaker Pro file. If the current layout formatting can't be applied, the Excel file uses the system format.