You can import, convert, and export merge files.
Importing or converting merge files
- Field names are imported.
- All fields are text fields.
Exporting merge files
FileMaker Pro exports a text file with the following characteristics:
- The character that separates fields is different depending on the language of your operating system. On U.S. English systems, the field separator is a comma. On European systems, the field separator character is a semicolon. The character may be different in other locales.
- Both merge and FileMaker Pro formats include field names. However, the application into which the data will be imported must support the format you choose. Some applications will strip out the field names when importing the exported data.
- Carriage return characters separate records.
- Field data is enclosed in quotation marks.
- The first record is a header that lists the field names.
- Carriage return characters in a field export as vertical tab characters.
- Values in repeating fields are separated by the group separator character.
- Quotation marks (") in and around a field export as double quotation marks.
- Merge is a good export format for creating form letters in a word processor.
- This export format works well for Microsoft Word mail merge.
- You can create form letters entirely in FileMaker Pro by typing your letter on a layout and using merge fields. See Placing merge fields on a layout.