Setting options for fields
You can set field options when you define a field, or at a later time. You can set options for:
- entering default data into fields to make entering data fast, accurate, and consistent (for example, FileMaker Pro can perform a calculation to automatically format a phone number)
- checking data against validation requirements
- making a repeating field
- indexing and storing data
- storing container data externally (see Setting up container fields to store data externally)
- storing a global value
- setting furigana input options (Japanese language fields only)
You can add, change, or remove data entry, validation, repeating, storage, and indexing options for all field types except summary. You can set only indexing and storage options for calculation fields.
FileMaker Pro doesn't update existing records if you change field options. You can find existing records and change the data, if needed.