Defining furigana options
The furigana option is a Japanese-specific feature that enters into one field the kana reading of Japanese text that’s entered into another field.
Japanese text is composed of kana (hiragana and katakana) and kanji characters. A field set with the furigana option automatically enters the kana readings of kanji that are entered into another field. You will need two text fields for the feature to work, one that stores data as entered and another that generates the kana for the data entered.
To define furigana options for a field:
- Choose File menu > Manage > Database.
- Click the Fields tab if it is not displayed.
- If needed, choose the appropriate table from the Table list.
- Select the field that will hold kanji text and click Options (or double-click the field).
- In the Options for Field dialog box, click the Furigana tab.
- Select Use Furigana Field, then select the field that will display kana.
- For Translate into, choose a kana format for the furigana field.
- The kana that is generated and entered into the furigana field is compliant with the input method. However, you can manually edit the kana in the furigana field.
- When a file with a furigana field is shared, the client's operating system determines the kana as the data is entered or updated.