Specifying the data source for a chart
You can chart data from the current found set, the current record, or from related records.
To chart the records currently being browsed:
- In the Data Source area of the Chart inspector, choose Current Found Set.
The sort order is displayed in the Data Source area of the Chart inspector.
- Choose a display option:
- Summarized groups of records displays data points for groups of records.
Tip This setting is useful when you want to place a chart containing summary data in a header, footer, top or bottom navigation part, or body layout part. Create the chart in Layout mode, sort by the x-axis field, choose a summary field as the y-axis, and place the chart in the layout part. See Placing your chart in the appropriate layout part. To learn how to chart summary data in a quick chart, see Creating quick charts.
- Individual record data displays individual data points.
Note You can't sort the current found set within the Chart Setup dialog box. To sort data, close the dialog box, return to Browse mode, then sort. See Working with data in Table View or Sorting records.
To chart data in the current record:
- In the Data Source area of the Chart inspector, choose Current Record (delimited data).
The record must contain multiple data values separated by the carriage-return character. See Example: Charting delimited data.
To chart data in related records:
- In the Data Source area of the Chart inspector, choose Related Records.
- Choose a related table from the list.
- Specify a sort order (if applicable).
- Choose a display option (see "To chart the records currently being browsed" above).
When you chart related records, your chart updates when the current record changes.