You can use the New Layout/Report assistant to create several types of layouts. After you choose a category that corresponds to the way in which the layout will be viewed—on a computer screen or a touch device screen—or printed, you make additional choices for the layout. After you finish the assistant, you can further customize the layout. A default layout theme is assigned to each layout.
The various choices you can make in the New Layout/Report assistant are described below.
Computer layouts are designed to display within the dimensions of most laptop and desktop computer screens. After you choose Computer, you then choose the view in which you want to display the layout. After you finish the assistant, you add the fields and any layout objects and embellishments you want to the layout.
The default theme for Computer layouts is Enlightened.
Touch Device layouts are designed to display on touch-compatible input devices, including iPad, iPad mini, iPhone, or on a device with dimensions that you can customize in the assistant. After you choose Touch Device, you choose the view in which you want to display the layout. You can also choose the orientation—portrait or landscape—for the layout. For custom devices, you can specify the layout's width and height. After you finish the assistant, you add the fields and any layout objects and embellishments you want to the layout.
The default theme for Touch Device layouts is Enlightened Touch.
Printer layouts are designed for printing data on labels (horizontal or vertical), envelopes, and in reports. The printer choices are described below.
The default theme for Printer layouts is Enlightened Print.
A Labels layout contains the fields you select, arranged to print horizontally on virtually any kind of label stock. (FileMaker Pro includes the dimensions of a large number of standard label types.) If the label type you want isn't available, you can specify custom label dimensions.
You can only print (or preview) data; you cannot add information. (Use another layout type for data entry or finding data.)
A Vertical Labels layout is like the Labels layout above, except that Asian and full-width characters are rotated so that labels may be used vertically. See Formatting fields and text for vertical writing.
An Envelope layout contains the fields you select, arranged to print on a standard "Number 10" business envelope. You can only print (or preview) data; you can't add information. (Use another layout type for data entry or finding data.)
The New Layout/Report assistant lets you define varied report formats. You can create a Report layout with simple rows and columns of data (formerly a predefined layout type known as the List view layout), or a complex report with data grouped by specified values and including subtotals and grand totals.
You can also group records by sorting data by selected fields. You can then subtotal—or subsummarize—data in these groups (for example, group sales data by region, then subtotal sales for each region).
When you create a Report layout in the assistant, you can then choose to:
- include subtotals and grand totals in the report.
- add header and footer parts with static text (like your company's name), dynamic text (like the page number or current date), or a graphic (like your company logo).
- group records by sorting; you can then subtotal, or subsummarize data in the groups (for example, group sales data by region, then subtotal sales for each region).
- save information in a script to rerun the report (for example, switch to the report layout and sort the data).
You can modify any of these options after you finish the assistant.
- If you click Finish in the first panel of the New Layout/Report assistant without choosing a layout type, FileMaker Pro creates a blank layout in Form View. A blank layout contains no fields; you add the fields you want in Layout mode. A blank layout is good for complex layouts (for example, a data entry screen or form letter).
- You can change the layout theme. See Changing the theme of a layout.