About disconnecting users when idle
In the Edit Privilege Set dialog box, you can use the Disconnect user from server when idle option to determine what happens to users of a file shared by FileMaker Server or a FileMaker Cloud product after a certain period of inactivity. You can:
- automatically disconnect the user after a certain period of inactivity, or
- always keep the user connected
The number of active connections affects the performance of the host. Because you can set this option on a privilege set basis, you can set certain users to be disconnected to improve performance while permitting other users to always maintain their connections.
- The administrator for FileMaker Server or the FileMaker Cloud product sets the length of time that FileMaker Pro users can be idle in any database. The FileMaker Pro Disconnect user from server when idle option determines whether or not a FileMaker Pro client disconnects a user from a particular database. The administrators for FileMaker Server or the FileMaker Cloud product should make sure the idle time is long enough not to annoy users with frequent disconnections.
- For the privilege set assigned to the Guest account, you most likely should enable Disconnect user from server when idle. This will prevent users who open a file with guest access from remaining connected when idle.
- In the Full Access privilege set, the Disconnect user from server when idle option is disabled and cannot be enabled. Therefore users with Full Access privileges remain connected to FileMaker Server or the FileMaker Cloud product when idle.